In 2018 an estimated 2.3 billion people traveled the world for business and leisure. A portion of those 2.3 billion travelers are solo leisure travelers. Solo travel has increased exponentially for the following reasons:
- Desire to see more of the world and don’t want to wait for others
- Travel on own terms
- Sense of being independent and self-confident
- Different travel interests than friends
- Desire to meet like-minded solo travelers
- Significant other unable to travel or has different travel interests
Some interesting facts about many solo travelers are:
- Many solo travelers are women
- Many solo travelers are college educated
- Some solo travelers travel three or more times a year
- Many solo travelers travel internationally, however, others travel domestically
My tips for travelling solo as a woman:
- Determine your travel destination and plan your trip from airfare all the way down to your activities. Doing some research beforehand will help you to determine how you will need or want to dress. This is key, because you will want to be able to maneuver around without the help of others. Take a sensible amount of baggage!
- Check in with family or friends everyday of the trip, so people will not worry while you are travelling. Contact them via IMessage, Snapchat, Facebook, WhatsApp, WeChat, etc.
- Do not share with everyone you are travelling alone. Not everyone has the best intentions for you whether domestically or internationally.
- Stay focused when out and about for thieves.
- Keep your documents, money, etc. safe! Never pull out a wad of money in the open or leave a bank or ATM without putting your money away first.
- Be friendly with other people. You will be surprised the people you will meet and get to know by interacting with locals and other solo travelers.
- Take a break from technology and take in the beauty of the destination you so carefully planned.
- Most of all take photos and enjoy yourself!
As a person who has traveled with my spouse, groups, and solo I have found that solo travel requires you to really know yourself. Solo travel provides you a sense of freedom you may not have when travelling with someone else. Your family will probably be concerned or think you are crazy, but locals will say you are brave and may inquire as to why you are travelling alone. Travelling solo will illustrate how strong you are and give you great confidence in your ability to do anything you set your mind to. Do not wait for the next travel show or National Geographic magazine to tell you about a destination you want to see yourself. You only live once so live your best life. Lastly, a quote from Bob Proctor says,” The only limits in your life are those we impose on ourselves.” Go explore on your own.
Visit Ketour Travel’s website (https://ketourtravel.com) read the blogs and updates on current and future trips. Go to https://discover.ketourtravel.com/ to purchase airfare, hotel, transfers, activities and holiday packages. Do not forget to subscribe to the newsletter, follow Ketour on our YouTube channel, Facebook page, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram. When making reservations for airfare, hotel rates, transfers, and activities visit https://discover.ketourtravel.com. Check out some of the current promotions going on to save on your travels.